Sunday, January 07, 2018


 I thought I would start this year with a  fun fact that I never really thought about much ->Surnames.
The fact is that ones surname is  a large puzzle piece of our ancestry. This was the info that I felt pertinent to the subject-

Where did the surname originate?


"Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll - first levied about 1275, Surnames were also used by families before they needed taxation as a means  of  showing  their  connection  to  powerful  families  Surnames go back centuries."

With that said, lots of names make sense to me now like, Taylor,  in old English  its spelled different but pronounced the same "Talleur"
Now some others are easy as well- Walker, Hill, Stewart, Wood, Butler, Fisher, Cole, Wells, Hunter, Berry, etc. Mine is Kitchens in old English spelled "Cycen".  So take a look see what's the real spelling of you surname..