Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Three Mearas

Hi To All,
I have been wanting to do this post for a while now.. This painting is actually the top of a antique hat box.. My Great Grandmother cut it from the box top and framed it.. My first memory of this painting is about three years of age. I use to stare at it in my Great Grandmother's house as it hung in her living room. I remember telling my Great Grandma I loved these horse's. She said maybe one day I could have it.. When I was 20 years of age my Grandmother phoned me and ask me to come in to town, I did and she had this waiting for me. She said she remembered that Great Grandma said she wanted me to have it.. My Great Grandmother passed at age 99.
Here is some lore on The Three Meara's
If they existed I believe this artist captured their image here..
Bee

In the old north of Middle-earth lived a proud race of wild Horses long-lived, wise and fleet of foot. They were called by men (particularly the Rohirrim) The Mearas. The legends of men said that their ancestors The Three Mearas had been brought from the West by Béma, their name for the ValaOromë.
One of these was captured as a foal by Léod of the Éothéod. It grew into a strong white horse, but when Léod tried to mount it, it threw him and killed him. Léod's son Eorl took the horse himself, naming him Felaróf. Felaróf was one of the greatest horses to have ever lived, and was said to understand the speech of Men. He carried Eorl when the Éothéod rode south to Rohan, and there sired a race of horses nearly as great as himself.
These were The Mearas, noble horses that lived as long as a Man, and had extraordinary strength and intelligence. Throughout their history, they would only allow themselves to be ridden by the Lord of the Mark or his sons. This long tradition was broken by Gandalf, who managed to train the greatest of the Mearas of his time, Shadowfax, and rode that mighty horse throughout the War of the Ring.

The word Mearas comes from an Anglo-Saxon word meaning simply 'horses. Its singular form would be Mearh.