Monday, April 02, 2007

More of the Bee *~* Round *~* Up

OUCH





Hi All, I made it home late last night..

So here are some photos of the flea market that accompanies the picnic.

Lots of trading and buying going on here.. Really fun..

Well I am a BeeCharmer extraordinaire again, I sneaked by with 2 1/4 pounds of comb and honey this year with only one sting... To get my blue... :-) In the honey nabbing competition ..
2 1/4 pds of honey and comb really is not a much as it sounds like--> honey is quite heavy..
My red was won in the hive rotation team competition... Maryann and I kicked butt!!!
There is also a photo of my hand sneaking honey--> My friend Maryann took this picture..Sorry its blurry.. Scotch-On -the Rock is never any where to be found during this event....
His fear of bees you know... :-) I am sure he was looking for the honey wine booth???? I 'm not sure who has more fun me or him, as he likes sampling all the venders wares???
Beecharmer*~*Extraordinaire??? Yep,Why--> Because I give my honey and comb back. Yes, I go back and lay it all out on a frame by the tree and the Lil Devils go to work taking it back in their wonderful natural hive... The other eother beekeepers think I am really funny.. But I know how much work it is and they are wild bees so I give them back what was theirs..

:-)

I am posting some more honey info--> Enjoy

Sparkling Honey Combs

B.


Local Honey and Allergies



This Bee Charmers life was changed by bee pollen.. I have a severe allergy to dust mites.. Bee Pollen basically cures this problem for me, I use pure fresh honey as well.. Either or it has changed my life and health..

Honey contains bits and pieces of pollen and honey, and as an immune system booster, it is quite powerful.

Honeybees will collect pollen from local species of flora and it will be present in small amounts in honey that was gathered by bees . When people living in these same areas eat honey that was produced in that environment, the honey will often act as an immune booster. The good effects of this local honey are best when the honey is taken a little bit (a couple of teaspoons-full) a day for several months prior to the pollen season.
When I’m asked how local should the honey be for allergy prevention I always advise to get honey that was raised closest to where you live, the closer the better since it will have more of exactly what you’ll need.
It may seem odd that straight exposure to pollen often triggers allergies but that exposure to pollen in the honey usually has the opposite effect. But this is typically what we see. In honey the allergens are delivered in small, manageable doses and the effect over time is very much like that from undergoing a whole series of allergy immunology injections. The major difference though is that the honey is a lot easier to take and it is certainly a lot less expensive. I am always surprised that this powerful health benefit of local honey is not more widely understood, as it is simple, easy, and often surprisingly effective.

European settlers introduced honeybees to North America during the 1600’s. The Native Americans called them the "White Man’s Flies":-)

• There are 3 different types of bees that are found within a colony: The queen, workers and drones.

• A queen bee, the mother of all bees in the hive, will lay an average of 1500 eggs in a day!

• The worker bee, which is always a female, will live from 6 to 8 weeks and only produce 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime, so don’t forget to lick the spoon!
• A drone bee, which is always a male, has no father but does have a grandfather since he is produced from an unfertilized egg!

• Man has been collecting honey from the honeybee for at least 9,000 years.

• Cave paintings that have been found in Spain from 7,000 BC are the earliest records of beekeeping.

• Romans used honey, instead of gold, to pay their taxes.

• Ancient Chinese completely covered small pox sufferers with honey to speed healing and prevent scarring.

• Ancient Egyptians used honey to treat a variety of ailments such as cataracts, cuts and burns. • A honeybee’s top-flight speed is 15 miles per hour.

• Bees are more important to us in their role as crop pollinators than as honey producers. Honeybees perform approximately 80% of all crop pollination.

• One third of our food is the product of pollination.

• The value of crop pollination is estimated to be $19 billion!

• Honeybees never sleep!

• The venom from honeybees is used to treat a multitude of body ailments from cancer to multiple sclerosis!

• Other products of the beehive that are important to us are pollen, royal jelly, propolis and beeswax.